Plenty of DIY articles advise people to save money by doing the work of a professional. Here is why that is totally unsafe when it comes to gas installation.
In the movies, gas leaks cause explosions roughly 100% of the time. In the real world, things don’t always burst into flame, but that’s no reason to play around with your gas.
If you’re planning on doing gas installation at your home, you have to leave it to the professionals. It’s simply not one of the DIY jobs that homeowners can tackle in a weekend.
Not convinced? You figure after you remodeled your bathroom that you can handle anything? Well, read on to find out why you gas installation isn’t something you should attempt yourself.
Gas Installation Takes Training
Gas fitting requires correct testing and pressure observations that are likely beyond you.
This isn’t a shot at your abilities. It’s simply a real assessment of what professionals are trained to do. Just because you were able to connect your own gas line, that doesn’t mean the connection is safe or secure.
These professionals go through training and certification that allows them to see any problems with the fitting. And they have to do all of that because so much is on the line.
The Hazards Are Real
Yes, fires and explosions can happen if your gas fitting is done incorrectly. A gas leak can be ignited by a spark or a fire source inside your house.
At high concentrations, breathing it in can also lead to death by asphyxia. Suppliers add a sulfuric odour to the gas because of the potential harm from a leak.
If you do smell the rotten eggs odour, it’s best to immediately leave your house. Don’t unplug anything, use the phone, or flip any switches. Just go outside.
The other hazard that you may face is just as deadly. Normally, natural gas produces water vapor and carbon dioxide when burned. However, it can also produce carbon monoxide if it isn’t burned completely.
This is usually due to poor ventilation or improper installation. Both of those things can be avoided with professional help. Carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless, which makes it extremely dangerous.
Too much of it in the air can kill you. In 2014, 50 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK, and thousands more were sickened.
Don’t be one of them. Instead, get a professional for your gas installation.
Your Coverage May Count On It
So what if some sort of trouble does arise? Do you think you’ll be covered for damages from defective gas fitting work that you did yourself? The answer is no.
You need to have compliance certification from your gas fitter to be covered. So doing it yourself can pose a hazard to you and your family. But it can also be hazardous to your wallet if there are damages.
At the end of the day, it will probably cost less just to have a professional take care of it.
Final Thoughts on Gas Installation by Certified Pros
It simply isn’t worth it to take on the risk of installing your own gas. So call the professionals at PHS. We’ll take care of all your gas needs safely and professionally.
With many years on the tools in all aspects of the engineering industry has given me a second to none skill set which enables me to provide a leading professional service to my customers with a wealth of knowledge and highly skilled engineers to successfully cover all your plumbing, heating, AC and catering equipment requirements.